Owen came home from school a few weeks back and told me he wanted to be in the school wide spelling bee.
Um, what? Excuse me? Are you sure?!?!?
It took me back to being in school and the panic and anxiety that would have overtaken me if someone told me I had to be in the spelling bee. I found myself asking him over and over again if he was sure he wanted to do it. I realized I was feeling so anxious for him and the idea that he may crash and burn up there that part of me was hoping he would drop out. I did my best to put my feelings aside and supported him in this.
We went to the practice and he did great. It gave him a little boost of confidence because he started to feel a tad unsure and nervous. But when the night of the real deal came up, he started to second guess himself again and was unsure if he should go. Truth be told, he barely did any studying despite all my pestering. I think he was picking up on my feelings of anxiety without him realizing it. But he decided he would go and check it out and feel himself out and make a game time decision. He just wanted me to go with him instead of the whole family because it took some of the pressure off of him.
He decided he was going to do it! I texted Blaine and he came with the other boys. I was SO proud of him. I was choking back tears. Never in a million years would I have done this at 8 years old. I did not care how he did. I was just so proud and impressed that he would even consider doing the spelling bee.
Owen made it through the first three rounds and was one of the last 2nd graders standing. The third round knocked about half of the remaining kids, so he did great. The best part of it is that he did it and he was proud of himself! I love this kid so much!!!
Some mornings at our house before school includes basketball, soccer, a made up game using a ball, bouncy ball games, wall ball in the garage....you name it. Some combination of these games were happening one morning and Owen hurt his leg. He was crying to hard and refused to put weight on it. This literally happened 1 minute before we were to walk out the door to school. So in a panic I told him to stay home while I took Eli and Cash to school that we would address his leg when I got home.
Of course his leg was fine. I knew it was. Owen tends to be a tad over-reactive. I had to wait to take him to school after Tripp woke up from his nap and he happened to take a super long morning nap so he got a free morning at home. Before sending him back we went to get some sushi at Whole Foods--Owen's request. It was such a fun, little treat to get to have lunch with him and spend a little impromptu one on one time. He is so inquisitive, kind, empathetic, goofy, smart and overall an amazing little human.
No comments:
Post a Comment