They have been asking a lot of questions and learning a lot about voting in school. Even Cash is learning about voting--albeit, they are voting on their favorite kind of cookie and they will get to bake the winner on Friday! But Eli and Owen have picked up more than I would have imagined.
Owen on one occasion told his teacher she should vote for Hilary Clinton, and on another asked her if she thought she would vote for Gary Johnson. We have talked about the importance of this election at home but being that they are 4, 6 and 7, we have kept out the awful details about the candidates. I have friends whose kids are asking questions about Trump not liking girls and saying he is a terrible person....we really tried to keep those things out of their ears. Of course they have heard things at school, but for the most part, we have been able to keep the details away from them.
Owen was really into being able to vote, and reeeeally wanted to come with me. So last week during early voting, during a torrential downpour, I took the boys to Randall's so they could partake in this election with me. I actually became way more emotional than I would have ever anticipated.
Owen cast my ballot for me, and was so proud of it!
Part of being an American is to participate and let your voice be heard. I am proud to have cast my vote. I would like to thank our founding fathers for their courage to create this great nation and to the men and women in public service who protect our freedoms.
No comments:
Post a Comment