Monday, May 30, 2016

R.I.P Jerry, May 16-May 30

May 16 was declared the day we got out first pet. A fish. Named Jerry.

I made them come with me after school one day to run a bunch of errands, and at the end, I asked if they wanted to go into Petco and just see the animals. Just call me a sucker. I had no plans on walking out of there with a fish, but we somehow did.

 They were soooooo excited! They seriously loved this fish. Eli especially.  Every morning he would go check on Jerry and declare how much he had grown, how pretty he was, how much he loved him. But seriously, judging by this picture, poor guy didn't have a chance.

 This could have quite possibly, been the most well loved Beta ever.
But then...it all came to a shocking halt. I had planned on writing about our Jerry today, but in my original thought, it did not end like this.
He was doing so good.....until Eli was helping me change out his water and he plopped him into the clean water before I had the chance to tell him not to. Come to find out, the water was too cold for him, and he shocked poor Jerry's body. We had not given the water enough time to warm up to room temperature.  He flounced around for a few hours and Eli convinced himself that he was playing dead...only problem was that he was not playing.  That evening, he was full on floating in his bowl.

Eli was devastated. He came into my bathroom with eyes filled with tears and told me Jerry was dead. I gave him a big hug and let him cry for a bit.  Owen got sad after we buried him last night, and Cash just keeps saying "too bad Jerry died" with no remorse whatsoever.  Eli is really processing the loss of Jerry, and talking about it a lot. He wanted to make sure his best friend's mom let him know that he had died that night.

After dinner we found the perfect coffin and spot for a burial in the backyard.  Eli and Owen both write little notes and I gave a speech to Jerry thanking him for being the best first pet we could ask for.


So today after school....just call me a sucker...meet Carl.


No comments: