Thursday, November 3, 2011

Weekend of Running

I took the boys to "run" their first 5K together this weekend . It was actually their second if you want to get technical, on my 30th birthday I ran with Eli in the stroller and Owen in utero.
A friend of mine was a sponsor for the Dell Children's 5K run this weekend and asked me to run in their place since neither she or her husband are runners.
We got all bundled and packed up and out the door pretty early and headed to the start of the run.
We had to wait around for a while before the start of the run and I was a little nervous I was going to loose their good attitudes.  Thankfully when we started running they were troopers and did awesome!  I promised them a cupcake at the end of the run, and Eli held me to it.  I ran into their pediatrician at the finish line and had to sneak by her to get to the Hey Cupcake trailer.




There was a whole fair after the run benefiting the Children's Hospital with a lot of things for kids to do, so we stuck around and let the boys go from station to station.  Their favorite was the fire truck and ambulance they had there.  Turns out a couple of Blaine's friends were working the engine, so we got "special treatment."

On Sunday, I got suckered into running the Run for the Water 10 miler that Gilbert of Gilbert's Gazelles puts on.  I used to run with Gilbert in my other life (before kids) and loved it and have really been missing it.  Although its been more than just a little while since I ran 10 miles, I thought I would give it a shot and just pace myself on the hills (its a course known for its crazy big hills).  I ran with my friend Katie, and had an amazing run!!!!
I am not running nearly as much or as far, or as fast for the matter, as I would like to these days but I guess that is the nature of having two kids, its twice as much work as just having one (how knew, right?).  Sometimes I feel that I am just scraping by with  my running and doing just enough to stay in shape and keeping me from feeling like a caged border collie.
I wish I were running more, but I know running will keep, whereas babies don't. I know that any minutes they will be big stinky boys who don't want to cuddle with me in the mornings, so I guess I should take advantage of that now.  When they are teenagers and hate me I will have plenty of time to train for an Ironman if I wanted to!

On top of the literal running, it was a very busy weekend and I felt like I was running around the whole time!  We celebrated some great friends and their birthdays Friday night, and had two birthday parties this weekend plus getting ready for our Halloween party...phew. Glad its over but the whole weekend was great fun.  Halloween pictures are next!

No comments: