Every now and then something happens that makes you realize just how short life is, and how you need to appreciate the ones you love and make sure you tell them everyday. When Maw was sick, it was a reminder to us all just how lucky we are to have our family and our health. My Dad decided that with that reminder, he was going to plan a trip for our family to all be together to take advantage of the time we have.
I have been counting down the days for this trip for months! And for so many reasons; I knew this would be the last trip we take for a while, I love the beach and haven't been since our honeymoon, I couldn't wait to spend that much time with my family, and to see Eli experience the beach for the first time. I am nervous about how much time I will need to spend with the new baby and nervous about how Eli will react to the changes, so I was so happy that we got to take this trip with Eli.
It lived up to every expectation I had! We really had the most wonderful time, despite the rain, and torrential winds that we had!
The flight there went well considering we were traveling with a very independent 17 month old. He made it very clear to us that he didn't quite care for take-off and landing. He would look at me with a very serious look and shake his head no, as it to say 'please Mom, make this stop!' and would then wrap his arms around my neck and hold tight for dear life. He only slept for 30 minutes the whole day, so by the time we got to our resort he was a sleepy boy. Blaine and I decided to order room service and take it easy so we could enjoy the next day while the rest of the family went out to dinner. At 6:00 pm, Eli was sitting on the bed eating dinner and falling asleep, so he went to bed at 6 and we just hung out in the room and relaxed.
On our first full day there, we had beautiful weather. Of course we were up before everyone else, so after breakfast just the three of us headed out to the beach to introduce Eli to the ocean.
We started off my exploring the sand.
Eventually we made it into the water and he loved it.
That evening, the weather took a turn for the worse and Hurricane Alex came creeping closer to Mexico. Thankfully it was just a tropical storm while we were there, but it did cause a lot of rain and some crazy winds. There was a break in the rain a few times everyday and it became a joke that every time there was a break, we would lather Eli up with sunscreen, run out to the beach and hope for at least 5 minutes before we had to pack up to run back to the room. Usually 5 minutes was all we got before it started to pour! We did make it out to the pool and the beach everyday though.
Here we are, we just made it to the beach and settled in with a drink (but it was just water for me-booo!)
And, not 5 minutes later, running back to beat the storm
We did have to get a bit creative during those rainy days to keep Eli entertained but with everyone around it wasn't too difficult. A few games of peek-a-boo with the curtain...
Coloring in the room with Rachel, Hobo and Ethan
Comparing feet size with Ethan
Watching a little Yo Gabba Gabba
A trip to the crepe shop
Playing with toys outside the sports bar while the guys watched the soccer game
And of course, helping our fabulous concierge, Francisco at his desk
Every night we chose from a different cuisine--Japanese, Italian, Steak, Mexican, and American. Between the buffet breakfasts, lunches, the ice cream bar, the 24 hour free room service, and the stocked fridge, I'm pretty sure I have exceeded the amount of weight I was hoping to gain during this pregnancy!
Even when the rain from Alex had passed, he left behind some winds, but nothing that kept us from being outside the entire day, with the exception of nap time for Eli and I!
Eli turned into quite the little surfer dude, making friends with everyone he passed, walking up to strangers and smiling making them laugh, he fell in love with coconut milk, coconut ice cream, enjoyed lamb chops for the first time, learned some new words, found a new love for pears, dipping french fries in guacamole, and corn on the cob, realized just how funny his Uncle Ethan truly is, realized he did actually like to swim and see his Dad blow bubbles under the water, and showed us just how much noise he can sleep through.
The last two days Hurricane Alex subsided some and we got some great weather. We spent those last two days entirely outside.
And of course you have to expect that with our family, we aren't always very serious...
We were dreading the day to return home. Of course, we weren't ready to leave and the thought of an entire day of traveling with a little one was daunting! But I must say he did wonderfully. Instead of sleeping on the plane, he slept the entire way to the airport and the whole time we waited in line to check in at the Cancun Airport. So we were stuck with a very awake, albeit, happy Eli the entire flight. He kept us laughing going through customs after he saw the drug dogs walk by and he barked, and barked and barked as loud as he could he was so excited to see the big dogs! He turned more than just a few heads. I was completely exhausted by the time we got back to Austin and happy to be back on the ground.
I cant thank my Dad enough for this amazing trip. We all really had a wonderful time, and it is a trip we will never forget!
We returned home safely (and sleepy) and I think its safe to say that I am in full-blown nesting mode!
No comments:
Post a Comment