Thursday, November 19, 2009

Haircuts and pointer fingers

I really didn't think I would be one of those moms who was emotional about their baby's first haircut. And to some extent I'm not.....but when we walked out of the hair salon, I became a mess. Not so much because I saw his precious, first baby hairs being cut off but because his hair was a mess!!!!
I distinctly remember my worst haircut (not counting the haircut my grandmother gave me when she was babysitting me when I was 3). I was a sophomore in college living in Little Field apartments with my roommates Laura, Natalie and Ashley. It was the afternoon before a big Zeta party. I walked in the door, and just as my roommates started to say things like "your hairs looks so good...." i didn't hear the rest....tears just came rolling down my face, I think I threw my bag on the kitchen table yelled something like "i hate it! its terrible" and got in the shower and cried. But I think I was more upset about Eli's bad haircut. It was about an inch too short in the front, crooked all over, and fell flat on his forehead making him look like he glued his hair to his forehead. I think Eli could have done a better job cutting his hair.



There were minimal pictures taken the two weeks following his haircut. But I guess the first was a memorable one. We did get a cute little certificate and a baggy of his little hair. I wasn't emotionally ready for the first haircut (its such a big-boy thing!) but when we started getting comments like "she is so cute" we thought it was time to trim the hair, it was half-way down his nose and in his eyes.

We make a lot of unnecessary trips to places like the grocery store, Target, Costco, Starbucks just to get out of the house. So in an effort to do something different and perhaps educational, Eli and I made a trip to The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. Bummer. Maybe I should have thought about the fact that it was "winter" and no flowers would be in bloom. But we had a good time and looked at a lot of green plants that we could have just seen in our backyard for free...oh, and rocks and leaves!




As of late, Eli has bloomed into this happy, observant, energetic little guy. The cutest little pointer finger points at just about everything--every speck of dust or crumb on the floor, every mole on Blaine's chest, every bubble in the bathtub, every flower or bird that comes into sight and every light switch or doorbell we pass. It has made me realize I may need to clean the floors more often! He has also taken a keen interest in balls, the bouncy kind. We took him to Academy last week and as we passed the big basket of balls he pointed at them and started to cry as we walked away from them. We passed them again, and the same thing happened, so we got him one and brought it home. Holy potatoes, he LOVES it! He loves it so much he said his first work..."ball." It is the sweetest little sound, I just cant get enough of his sweet little voice. He points at his ball and says "ball," or if Blaine is watching basketball he points at the TV, "ball, ball, ball, ball"...I never thought I would say or hear the word ball so many times in one day!

No comments: