You are turning EIGHT. Sounds old, right?!?!? Do I say that every year?
Yes, yes I do.
Every year it seems that we put behind us one challenge, only to be met with other challenges that come with getting older. But that is all part of the deal.
We started today off with balloons, "Happy Birthday" lights strung across the fireplace, and big ole' stack of Snickerdoodle cookies and bacon--the perfect way to start YOUR day. You opted out of birthday cake for breakfast and went with snickerdoodle cookies, good choice.
You told me this morning that it was a great birthday already...I hope you feel that way during your entire year of being 8. You did not ask for much. You asked for a Nerf Gun and an XBOX game. On your actual birthday you requested that we all go to Blazer Tag together, just the 5 of us. I loved that that is what you wanted to do! But they are closed on Wednesdays. I was worried you would be really upset that we could not do that, but when I told you, you took it in stride and came up with another plan for your birthday. You wanted to get your new game, and go to The Salt Lick--just the 5 of us.
A 8 years old, there are a few qualities you have that remind me of me at your age, which, I am not going to lie....drive me crazy. You are stubborn as all get out! I see that you sometimes have expectations, and when things do not go your way or those expectations are not met you get so upset. I was like that too as a kid. I had to work really hard to share my expectations with the ones I loved so that I would not feel let down when they did not just "know" what I wanted. You are shy and hate attention on you. You love, I mean, love electronics. I think that if we let you, you would be on some type of device most of the day. So, with that, your Dad and I have had to put a lot of restrictions on you and time spent on them. You are smart and have a killer memory like your dad. You enjoy being with friends just as much as you love being at home.
You are doing really great in school this year. Although getting you to do homework is the most frustrating part of my day! You just don't want to do it. You still wake up before the crack of dawn...generally somewhere in the 5 o'clock hour, some days I have no idea how you make it through the whole day!
I notice you growing up more in little things you do. You usually want to say good-bye to me in the hallway before we get to your class in the mornings before school. You are more independent and know what you want. You are close to both of your brothers and (most of the time) y'all have a blast together. It is my greatest joy to see you boys play and love each other together. Last night, all three of you were sleeping in my bed. I went around and gave you each a kiss and whispered good-night in your ear and then just layed there listening to you all breathing thinking how in the world I got so darn lucky.
You are a kind, sweet boy whom I am so, so proud of. Sometimes your dad and I are a bit hard on you, but that is only because we see so much potential in you. I am excited to see what being 8 years old beholds for you! I love you with all my heart and soul!
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment