Friday, January 8, 2016

Jumping Into They New Year

New Years day, I woke up and snuggled on the couch with the boys before I went for an amazing 8 mile run in the neighborhood and then came home to hang out with my family on the first day of 2016.

A few weeks back, I had asked Owen if he wanted to do The Polar Bear Plunge with me at Barton Springs this year.  I asked all the boys, but figured Owen would be the only one actually up to it when the time came.  He has also been needing a little extra attention lately and has been extra emotional so I thought it would be a fun thing for just him and me to do together.

I have always wanted to do the plunge but for one reason or another it just never happened.  I also have a better relationship with Barton Springs now.  For anyone who knows me, they know I am always cold and hate to be cold.  So jumping in Barton Springs seems like something I would hate!  But all summer long, we park there in the morning and start and finish our runs there so we can jump in at the end.  It has become something I absolutely love and look forward to during those hot, humid, hard runs!  We have been doing this for years, but just recently I started to really appreciate how wonderful it really is, not to mention how good it feels to start the day off this way!

Owen and I started to get ready to go, but one by one everyone else said they wanted to come.  So the 5 of us got in the car with dry warm clothes, lots of blankets and hot coffee and drove down there. There were a ton of people!

We found a good little spot and started to get ready. Owen started to re-think his decision and wanted me to go first.



So off I went....




Yeah...it was cold. But honestly, it was warmer in the water than it was outside. After a few seconds of catching my breath, it felt pretty darn good and Owen was ready to make the plunge.



It was seriously the best way to start off the new year.  Jump right in and get ready. I am totally hooked and doing it every year!  We changed into dry clothes, cuddled up in our blankets, got warm donuts and coffee and headed home.

Cheers to a happy and healthy 2016!!!

No comments: