Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Run For The Water 2014

I love this race! Run For The Water is put on by Gilbert and for every one runner, one person in Burundi will have access to clean water by raising money to build clean water systems.  Gilbert is a Burundi born long-distance runner who survived a massacre during the Burundian Civil War.  He is an amazing man, who always is smiling with an amazingly positive attitude!
It is a joy every time I see his face!

On Sunday, I got up bright and early and headed downtown for the 7am start.  It was a perfect morning for a run!
I was greeted right before the finish line by my support team and I could not have been happier to see all 4 of my boys standing there waiting for me!! I felt really good crossing the finish line, with a pretty good negative split.  The course is very hilly, so I was pacing myself the whole race but very happy to be coming down the 1st street bridge and to see that finish line.










This race last year for Eli and I was one of my all time favorite mornings I have had with him.  We had so much fun and I was so looking forward to doing it again with everyone there with us.  The boys were all geared up and ready to go.
We headed to the start line, and waiting for them to shoot the gun.  I had asked the boys if they wanted me to run with them or not and Eli looked at me and said "Mom, I don't want you to run with me, I can run by myself."  I felt so proud, and a little sad that he didn't "need me."
Owen was not so sure, so I was going to follow his cue.  And I might mention that Cash would not stay back with Blaine to watch (still way attached), so I had him in tow.
They shot the gun....Eli took off super fast....and Owen, well, he fell straight to the ground and started crying.  No, bawling.  No idea what happened. He literally would not even stand up for me, so I grabbed his bawling, limp body and ran with him and Cash to Blaine, threw them both to Blaine and ran off to find Eli.
He was booking it, and was looooving it!!!!

He was so proud of himself for how well he did.  He even told me that he was getting tired but he knew he had to finish so he just kept pushing!

They handed out pumpkins for the kids to go trick or treating at each of the tables and the boys had  a great time.
I had a great race and met my goal. I ran a 1:21, and got a little more motivation to figure out what my next race will be!

No comments: