Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Time Travel

I know I will look back on days like today with such fondness, but right now, I am just happy today is over.
Everyone was fussy, whiny, constant demands.  Nothing came easy today.  I made dinner, no one ate it.  I walked out of Cash's eye sight and he fell to pieces.  Logo creations fell apart and Mommy didn't know how to put them back to together the right way, and Dad was at work.  Our house was cleaned today and within 1.2 seconds of the boys walking in the house, it was back to being a dump.
Just when I thought I got everyone down for naps, I walk into the Big Boy's room to find them like this....Eli crawled into Owen's bed and brought toys! So no nap for Eli and Owen.

And I heard Cash call out after a 30 minute nap. So no break for Mommy.

It was just one of those days.

With kids, and cleaning the house, making appointments, running, and just staying afloat, the days often fold into each other with surprising speed.  So much so, that I am often stunned to sit down and realize a few days or weeks have slipped through my fingers.

These days go so quickly, and I know that means I am supposed to sit down and value them that much more, but man alive, I would like to freeze it- Matrix style- so that everything else around me gets suspended, but I get to catch up.
I want to slow down and cherish these moments, even though they seem so frustrating at the time.  I know there will be a time that I will miss walking into the boys room and finding Eli in the crib with Owen, along with every single toy in their room at 6am, or acting as an umpire and keeping track of whose turn it is to sit in the middle seat in the car, or breaking up fights, or Cash wanting me to hold him every. single. minute. of. every. single. day, or  getting up with him every single night (still) just because and have him look at me with the biggest, sweetest, most endearing smile as he reaches up and kicks his legs with excitement as to say "Mom, I just love you and want to spend time with you and the middle of the night is the only time I have you to myself!," and have him repeat this multiple times a night and finally getting him back to sleep just in time for Eli to creep out of his room at the crack of dawn.  I know I will miss stepping over toys in every single room of the house, and finding snacks that I was so happy about them finishing inside of toys weeks later. I will one day look back on finding crumbs on the couch and leaking milk cups, Alphabet magnets on the fridge, tiny underwear around the house (because for some reason, they both like to change underwear throughout the day), always having dirty dishes, and dirty laundry, and dirty hair, with such fondness.  I just know I will miss those calls in the middle of the night to cover someone up, and the little pitter patter of their cute little feet running around the house playing Super Hero Fireman, them wanting to constantly show us a new trick,  finding the bathroom floor covered in toilet water and having everyone deny they were playing in the toilet even though their clothes are soaked, or turning around to find Owen with his pants at his ankles in the middle of Hat Creek Burgers relieving himself, or the boys wanting to come get in bed with me, cuddle with me, and want to be with me.  There will come a day when I am no longer cool and everything I do embarrassing and the last thing they want to do is be with their Mommy (tear). I do appreciate these moments even through I have to remind myself to some days.

I go to bed feeling spent every single day.  But in the morning, I get to wake up to these guys and know its all worth every single frustrating, tiring, moment.





I have been blessed with three beautiful, healthy, loving boys who love each other dearly.  For every time I want to pull our my hair, comes a moment where I hear them giggling in the other room at each other and my heart melts a little.  For every time I feel like I am cleaning up yet again, one of them comes up to me and tells me they love me.  For every hour of sleep lost, comes moments of great joy and satisfaction.

I would not give this up for anything, but man alive, it is hard being the mom of three young boys!

1 comment:

Haegelin Family said...

i seriously started a post like this the other day and was too tired to finish it... this is such a trying time! long, exhausting days filled with lots of problem solving and frustration. but the sweet moments are sweeter than anything else in life! i know we will miss it like crazy one day. thanks for reminding me of that :)