Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Kicking Off Summer

Blaine was working all weekend over Memorial Day weekend with the exception of 12 hours between Friday and Monday, so it was really just me and the boys.  Thankfully for us, Hobo was out of town too, so we had Rachel all to ourselves! Generally we would spend some time at my parents house on a weekend like this, or my mom would offer to keep one of both boys for the night, but they were at the coast for the long weekend.
Friday morning we started off the day bright and early with an run at the trail because both boys and myself woke up uncharacteristically early, followed by a trip to the fire station to visit Blaine.  Of course the boys love going up there and its always fun to see Blaine at work.  We usually pick quiet times of the day for the station so he doesn't have to up and leave to go on a run while we are there, although it is fun to see him in action.
Saturday started off the same way with a walk at the trail but with wonderful company, Lauren joined us and we followed it up with Daily Juice.  When we get close to the end of the loop, Owen almost always turns around and requests a "smoomie mommy!" Later that day we went to the Pease Park Splash Pad for the first time this year with Rachel. We were supposed to go to a friends Crawfish Boil, but I was so exhausted (I'm telling you, this baby takes it all out of me!) and I could not pass up the help from Rachel.  Anyway, I wasn't sure how it would go over since sometimes it takes Eli a while to warm up to things like that. Or at least it used to.  This time, he jumped right in and LOVED it. On our way there we were driving down West Lynn when we saw Engine 4!  I honestly think that in the 10 years Blaine and I have been together I have seen him maybe twice while he was out working/making a run. One of those times was on Mopac and I frantically waved hello and he of course didn't even see me. So we immediately pulled over to say hi!  They were doing a pub/ed at a little event being put on by  Galaxy Cafe.
Rachel met us there and helped me chase after the boys before she left us to pick up some dinner so we could head over to her house for dinner.  On her way out of Fresh Plus, she saw Blaine again!  I'm telling you, this never happens!   








Sunday started the same, trip to the trail but this time we followed it up with a trip to the Liz Carpenter Fountain at Butler Park.  I figured since it was just me with the boys, I ought to do my best to ware them out as much as possible.  I also figured we out to kick off the start of summer with as many trips to the Splash Pads as possible since taking them swimming by myself is pretty difficult.











Speaking of Summer, Eli finished up the school year about two weeks ago.  He really had a great year and learned so much.  He would come home talking about new things all the time that would always impress us.  He became so much more comfortable with going off to school with confidence, and showed Owen that going to school is great.  Owen was always eager to walk in the door right behind Eli in the morning when I would drop him off and couldn't wait to go pick him up.  Even though we have had a great experience at Eli's school, we are switching to a new school next year where he and Owen will both be going three days a week and I am even more excited about this school and the special activities they provide for the kids.

Monday morning Brooke and I met up for a quick walk/catch-up session and that afternoon Rachel and I met up at Deep Eddy to take the boys swimming.
We stopped for one of those awesome ices they sell there on the way out, and while we were sitting on the ledge enjoying our ice's we heard sirens...they got closer and closer until they were right in front of us.  The boys quickly pointed out the firetruck and when I turned around to look, I saw Engine 4 and Blaine getting out...again!  When they were done with their run, we got to see him again! That makes three times in one weekend, more than the last 10 years combined.




It was a great way to kick off summer, but I am already sick of the heat! I guess being 34 weeks pregnant does not help! We were glad when the weekend was over and we had Blaine back home!

Stay tuned for our trip to the Upper Peninsula for Rachel and Hobo's wedding.  All I can say is "WOW!" It was an amazing time!!!!

No comments: