We were fighting a 104 degree fever all weekend long, complete with the sweats, the chills and shaky episodes. It was almost like he was hallucinating, he kept thinking he was going to fall, and would jump everytime we touched him--crazy. I'm hoping we finally kicked it. We made our first trip to the doctor for a sick kid this weekend, and we went to the after hours clinic at our doctor office. We have been pretty lucky in the sick department.
Blaine had taken him out in the morning for some daddy/son time and when Eli came home he just looked at me and I could tell he wasnt right. He went from being totally fine to being HOT, HOT, HOT! And I dont mean like David Beckham hot. Like leave your CHI on on night hot ( I was going to say Matt Lauer, because I have a weird obsession with him, but thought you may think Im crazy. He is cute though, right?!?!?)
Anyway, Eli was so miserable, and the swab they stuck up his nose to test for the flu, and the prick on the finger to test for a virus, and the 45 minutes we waited in the waiting room, or the fever that was causing him to sweat and shake didn't help. We didn't leave the office until way past his bedtime so he was exhausted and all he kept saying was "Ready to go, ready to go" and "Read story, read story" (he just wanted to go home and read a story so he could go to bed). It was so sad, but oh so cute. I just enjoyed the time he wanted to cuddle with me and use me as his lumpy pillow because as he gets older, those sweet, cuddle moments where all he wants is to be with his Mommy and cuddle up with me are becoming less frequent. Of course I was also thinking, you better shake this fast, and dont cough in my face because I sure dont want to get sick and you better not get your brother sick or else I may not be so sweet.
In an attempt to get Eli to eat something, anything at all, I was tempting him with things I never dreamed I would be convincing my child to eat--cookies, ice cream, chocolate, more cookies, french fries....nothing worked! I finally decided to introduce him to one of my dear friends, the milkshake.
Of course Larry had to have a taste.
It is hard enough to get this kid to eat anything when he is healthy and actually hungry, you throw in being sick, you can just forget about it!
One thing I learned is that when you have a sick kid who refuses to eat or drink anything, which includes taking medicine, there is actually an alternative. Not the most pleasant one, but did you know you can actually stick the medicine in another hole other than their mouth?!?!? Yes, there are actually suppositories that are Tylenol!
I have used more suppositories these last three months (and not for myself!!!) than I think I have in my whole like combined! The joys of motherhood.
Thankfully his fever is gone, his smile is back and our house is back to being a wreck covered in toys.

No comments:
Post a Comment