Monday, February 1, 2010

Uncle Effie

Ethan made an impromptu trip home this weekend to visit Maw. Usually, he comes home when its a holiday or there is some event going on, which doesnt leave a lot of time to just hang out together at home. But this time was different and it was so fun!
Although Eli hadnt seen him in a couple of months, it was like they didnt skip a beat! The second Eli saw Ethan, he smiled, reached out to touch his face and then lunged into his arms. He obviously made quite an impression!
Ethan taught him the art of the Slinky...


and how fun a game a peek-a-boo can be from the landing upstairs....
Did you noticed his new favorite toy...his toothbrush. I have been trying to make brushing his teeth fun so that he doesnt dread it, purse his lips shut as tight as he can and shake his head everytime I come at him with the toothbrush.  He thinks its hilarious when we brush our teeth, so I have to pretend like I am brushing my teeth before he will let me brush his.  And he likes to carry it around for a while after each brush.  If he thinks a toothbrush is a fun toy, I say, have at it!
The other new and exciting activity Eli loves is climbing stairs.  Since Ethan isnt climbing the stairs with Eli every 10 minutes every time we are at my parents house, it wasnt as annoying of an activity for Ethan, it was actually kinda fun for him. I just sat downstairs and listened to both of them laughing.


It was such a treat to all be together this weekend. On Saturday night we went to Chinatown for dinner, the whole family--my mom and dad, Ethan, Rachel and Hobo (her boyfriend, no, its not his real name, its his nickname. His real name is Patrick), Blaine, Eli and me.  Chinatown is like Cheers to us....my dad is back behind the bar making us all drinks, he took Eli back to the kitchen to show him around, and before we even get menus our table is filled with various appetizers.  Our glasses are never empty and we never go without knowing half of the people in there. 

Last week we took Eli to his 12 month well-check appointment.  The poor kid is in the 5% for his height!  Who knew we would have such a short kid.  But he faired well in the other areas, 25% for weight, and 50% for his head circumfrance.  For any moms out there reading this, I want to just ask you to please keep track of your childs shot record and be aware of the shots your child gets at every appointment.  That afternoon, we got a call from the doctor calling to inform us that they had given a shot to Eli unnecessarily, and one that he had already recieved, giving him a double dose.  I doubt that this happens often, and thankfully, it wasnt a shot that would have huge reprecusions from having the double dose, but it could have been a very huge and detrimental mistake.  I always trust, maybe too much, that the doctors know what they are doing, but this made me realize that I really need to be on top of my game and be more aware and educated, and to ask questions.
Apparently, they changed the shot schedule to clump together some of the shots that are given at the 6 month appointment and in that clump they included the polio vaccine, that used to be given at the 12 month appointment.  Now that it is given in the combo shot at 6 months, it should no longer be given at the 12 month appointment.  But somehow it got overlooked. So please be careful, and ask questions!

And just since there arent many pictures in this post, I thought I would share my most recent favorite picture!

No comments: